This Traffic Bureau is responsible for a wide variety of tasks, ranging from processing motor vehicle crash paperwork to overseeing the implementation of motor vehicle enforcement assignments for Patrol Officers. The bureau oversees the School Crossing Guards, as well as answering citizen questions concerning traffic laws, addressing any traffic concerns of the residents, and initiating selective enforcement details, such as DWI patrols, throughout the township.
The bureau has the responsibility to ensure that all police officers are trained in the proper completion of motor vehicle crash reports. We also have specially trained officers that respond in the event of a serious or fatal motor vehicle crash, who can assist with documenting and possibly reconstructing the accident scene if necessary.
Other duties that fall to the Traffic Bureau are ensuring that records related to radar certifications and Alcotest operators are up to date.
Below is a list of other responsibilities of the Traffic Division:
- Assist in serious injury and fatal motor vehicle crashes
- Review of road closures and police officer assignment for construction details such as PSE&G, Verizon, and other contractors
- Site Plan reviews for roadway construction and required permits
- Plan safe routes for parades and neighborhood events
- Issuance of a Handicapped Temporary Placards
- Funeral escorts
- Radar and DWI Enforcement details
- Radar instruction and re-certification
- Traffic Enforcement